Reclassification

fblover

This is a false statement, under the Z plan we have seen more teams with losing records make the playoffs than the 5 class system. This is a fallacy that too many people on this board use.

Last season under the Z Plan, there were 11 total teams in the 6 Division1 tournaments which had records below 500. In 2006, which was the last 5 class season in which the top 4 made it from each region, there were 18 teams that had sub 500 records. It is a FACT not the fallacy that you claim. BTW, my source was the TSSAA web site. The FACT of the matter is that less sub 500 teams make the playoffs under the current system than made it the last time we had 5 classes with the top 4 making the playoffs from each region.

This is a false statement, under the Z plan we have seen more teams with losing records make the playoffs than the 5 class system. This is a fallacy that too many people on this board use.

It is not a false statement. In the 5 class system, the top 4 from every region make the post season, regardless of record. In the current system, you aren't guaranteed anything unless you finish 1 or 2, with everything else being determined by results, regardless of what district you play in. If your district is good enough, you could have as many as 5 teams in the playoffs. And if your district is bad enough, you could have as few as 2. The current system is better designed to weed out the bad teams than the top 4 vs. top 4 system.

Again, I'm not saying the current set up is perfect, but I find it preferable to the previous system.

Why not go to a 4 class system and place all of the D2 schools back into D1?

Class A: Small public schools only! No private schools, magnet schools or open zoned schools.

Class AA: Private schools are allowed but they cannot offer financial aid.

Class AAA: Private schools that offer financial aid may play in this division.

Class AAAA: Private schools that offer financial aid may play in this division.

Only the district champion & runner-up will make the playoffs.

HTV...you hit on the point of confusion for the majority of fans, coaches, etc...that really shouldn't be an issue at all. For instance, the school I attended and continue to support competes in District 10-AAA in football, baseball, basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball, etc. As a matter of fact, it is precisely the same district it competed in 20 years ago when I was in school. In EVERY sport, we compete in District 10-AAA...and winning that district is the utmost goal of each team on campus! Classification is NOT ignored, yet specifically designed to allow our school to play and compete against teams with "similar" enrollments and athletic programs. As it did in the 80s and early 90s, it currently works flawlessly in every sport we compete in with exception to the revenue generated by our fellow district members! Again, we (HC) are a 3A school (even designated as such on these boards)! It is only if we qualify for the postseason in football (Week 11) does our classification increase to 5A or 6A.

Under the new proposal...the two teams in District 10-AAA that would qualify for 6A in the postseason, would still be in our new Region 5-5A (Dickson Co. and Rossview) changing abolutely nothing as far as we are concerned. (we play them now...we'll play them then) Thus, we fail to see the disparity as it relates to the Z-plan in which so many are crying "foul" or "it's not fair that we have to play so and so"! Bottom line, your team is either A, AA, or AAA. That's all that a team, coach, or fan should concern themselves with as it relates to classification. (at least until November)

Where your argument isn't correct is that we actually have 6 classifications, not 3. Games outside of your classification determine if a team makes the playoffs in their own classification. Any way you look at it or try to justify it, that's just not reasonable or rational.

And I do understand the need to generate revenue to pay for the program. I sat in the same position at our local school for 3 years that you do now. I very much understand how it works.

Certainly is and everyone is trying to go to the new one, Harding. Two or three years they will be dominent. Population changed but also compensation for coaches in the area has changed also. But that is not a major criteria.

That's not at all correct, PHargis. Hardin Valley Academy is a Knox County public school. It isn't in Oak Ridge (or Anderson County) and they don't compete for the same student/athlete as does Oak Ridge. The dwindling population of Oak Ridge is the primary reason ORHS has seen its numbers decline.

Hardin Valley has made the playoffs in 2 of its first 3 years of varsity football, but couldn't get past the first round. I don't see how they are going to become a "dominate" program. It is a zoned school, just like every other school besides Austin-East and the new Math and Science Academy (which are magnet schools) in Knox County is.

The Board of Control meets on June 12-14 and one of the items on the agenda is the reclassification for the next 4 years. Has anyone heard any rumors about possible changes? Or possible playoff changes?

In my opinion if any private school wishes to stay D1 they should be made to play at the highest classification regardless of their enrollment.

Where your argument isn't correct is that we actually have 6 classifications, not 3. Games outside of your classification determine if a team makes the playoffs in their own classification. Any way you look at it or try to justify it, that's just not reasonable or rational.

And I do understand the need to generate revenue to pay for the program. I sat in the same position at our local school for 3 years that you do now. I very much understand how it works.

Ok HTV....let's do it this way...below, I'm gonna post last year's schedule (which is the same as this year's) for clarification. Then, you tell me how many teams you see that are a DIFFERENT classification than Henry County.

Liberty Tech

Beech

Kenwood

Clarksville Northwest

Springfield

West Creek

Clarksville Northeast

Clarksville High

Dickson County

Rossview

How many teams to do you see that have a different classification than do the Patriots?

I say it was because Mr. Chilress illness caused the delay

doubt that seriously...

"Fred Kessler of Bolivar moves to table reclassification until July meeting...Motion passes 5-4..."

"Board will meet on Thursday, July 12th regarding classification at a site to be determined"

"Board wants to receive more input from schools until called meeting in July"