Heard from Maryville or Alcoa, TSSAA?

FridayMainEvent

Truth is what is there to gain by going to 6-A? Easier road in 5-A to get to the championship. It is all about winning, wanting competition is a complete farce!! I think the list to leave 6-A and nobody stepping up to play with the largest enrollment schools shows that. Time to remove the "super" from that nickname. TSSAA strikes again!!

GQ will surprise everyone. He does hold all of the cards. His next move after putting the rebs as the champs in all classes except for single A is to take his semi-private game to D2 and show the big boys how the game is played.

Wish he would find time to run a coaching camp to help the Knoxville guys wearing orange/white.

Who do you think will want to come down.  WB wants to, but they might not get the chance.  They are about 5 schools up the list.  It's like the waiver wire, they will ask the smallest schools first.  Lavergne is first and they will jump at the chance.   The rest depends on how many other 5A schools want to play up. 

Edited by OakRidgeKat

Haven't been on coacht in 2 years.  But I have tried to get GQ to release info today with no reply.  He is classic.  If you want a secret kept, tell him.  He will not let it spill.  It's good to not say so everyone else can choose based on either what they think MHS will do, or, more importantly, choose what is best for their school.

In my opinion the best choice for MHS is to stay in 5A and save their school some cash.  Playing in 6A has not posed a challenge since they moved (undefeated in District Play).  They have proven that the classification is irrelevant.  So save money on travel.  Also, there are some high quality teams in East TN in 5A (just as many if not more than 6A).  Also the freshman/JV point was a good one as well as the parent who has to drive 3 hours to watch a half of football then the mercy rule.

On second thought, the best choice would be to play Junior Colleges during the regular season instead of high school teams.  From what I can gather, a lot of teams don't even bother much when they play Maryville because they know what is getting ready to happen.  Teams rest starters and just take their beating and move on.  So JUCO games might be more entertaining.  When watching MHS games, they have become incredibly predictable and somewhat boring (unless you are the coaches or parents or the players). 42-0/49-0/49-7/42-7/38-0/35-0. Very few neutral fans or fans from opposing teams even go to the games.

As far as the WB rumor, it is a strong likelihood.  Maryville would try to play Fulton instead of WB.  Of course, that all depends on what road MHS takes. 

WB will have no chance to move to 5A as there would have to be at least 3 teams move up besides Maryville to have the opportunity. 

WB is locked into 6A with DB/SHILL/JEFFCO/BEARDEN/HVALLEY/BRADLEY.  It looks like Cookeville will be moving west and only 7 teams in WB District unless MHS moves.

I have been trying to predict the MHS decision, but it is hard.  My gut feeling is that the Maryville Rebels will make the jump to 6A to avoid any negative publicity.  I don't think it is the best move for the school financially, but I think that is what will happen.

We will know soon enough, but we won't hear it from George.

Will they take the JV team to Kingsport on Monday. Heck no and half the other places also. Don't do it George. I don't plan on taking all those trips and I've been to 97% of the games since I got out of school in the seventies. If GQ wants to let Barney Moneygrabber break the football budget that's all and fine but he ain't going to break my pockets running all over Tennessee for a football game. Go back to three or four classes and let that be that.