Fayetteville to forfeit 6 wins

MidTennFootball

Just now, Poundtherock23 said:

Bingo! If you want to participate on a large scale with competitive competition in Tennessee, then you gotta be a member of the TSSAA. I’m not sure if you could be an independent and still play against member schools. Playoffs and championships would be out for sure.

If Fayetteville has a restraining order against a organization how do you play in a playoff system against a school that is a member of said organization until it is resolved?

• Upvote 1

My question is: "What caused the TSSAA to change its mind and decide the player was ineligible after having sent the Sept. 6 letter stating he was eligible?".  

If Fayetteville did not give all the facts or misrepresented facts that is one thing, but if no facts changed and the TSSAA is simply responding to a complaint from some other school, then that is another thing.

I dare say that any school could come up with a complaint about any other school and try to get them disqualified for the playoffs.

I agree with Friday Main Event - the bus route argument is bogus.

Just now, CABacker said:

My question is: "What caused the TSSAA to change its mind and decide the player was ineligible after having sent the Sept. 6 letter stating he was eligible?".  

If Fayetteville did not give all the facts or misrepresented facts that is one thing, but if no facts changed and the TSSAA is simply responding to a complaint from some other school, then that is another thing.

I dare say that any school could come up with a complaint about any other school and try to get them disqualified for the playoffs.

I agree with Friday Main Event - the bus route argument is bogus.

I dont agree with the bus route argument either, but if it's a rule, and you know it, why would you submit information that would have to be inaccurate to make you eligible.

This from my daughter in law, who graduated Lincoln County High and has a sibling currently in LCHS. LCHS and Fayetteville city do not share busing. It is open enrollment throughout the county. If you can get to the school you can go there. LCHS has no buses within the city limits. Fayetteville City has no buses in the county.IF you live in the city you can go to LCHS but provide your own transportation. Same with Fayetteville City-if you live in the county you can go to City but must provide your own transportation.

I think the issue on eligibility comes in prior to their participation in Alabama. Were they part of the LCHS system as an athlete before going to participate in Alabama or was he originally at City?

10 hours ago, Southtowner said:

If anything the TSSAA could have made an error early on,  but maybe only because of the information that was given them.  Upon further review that decision has been corrected.  

What is the TSSAA to do after the initial ruling upon finding out otherwise?  Ignore it?  Don't you think Fayetteville is also responsible in knowing what the by laws state? And should be held to them like any other volunteer member of the Association? 

They were correct early on and are incorrect now. 

There is no logical basis whatsoever to conclude that FHS is not a 'system-wide' school, given that it's the only High School in the system.  As a system-wide public school, the territory of FHS is defined exclusively by the geographic boundaries.  Bus routes are entirely irrelevant to system-wide public schools under the rules.  They are relevant to zoned systems where specific schools serve specific areas within the zone only.

Territory – For a public school, the “territory” of the school is the geographic boundaries and bus routes of the area served by that school as established by the local board of education. For a system-wide public school or a home school student participating at a public school, the “territory” of the school is the geographic boundaries of the school system. For a non-public school or a home school student participating at a non-public school, the “territory” of the school is the area within a twenty (20) mile radius from the school. 

Edited by PullinGuard
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Vandychris said:

This from my daughter in law, who graduated Lincoln County High and has a sibling currently in LCHS. LCHS and Fayetteville city do not share busing. It is open enrollment throughout the county. If you can get to the school you can go there. LCHS has no buses within the city limits. Fayetteville City has no buses in the county.IF you live in the city you can go to LCHS but provide your own transportation. Same with Fayetteville City-if you live in the county you can go to City but must provide your own transportation.

I think the issue on eligibility comes in prior to their participation in Alabama. Were they part of the LCHS system as an athlete before going to participate in Alabama or was he originally at City?

This is what i was trying to find out.

4 minutes ago, Vandychris said:

for a non-9th grade student to be eligible immediately he would need to have a bona-fide change of address into the schools territory.   otherwise he would be ineligible for 12 months.   

The argument here is whether or not a lincoln county address outside the city limits of fayetteville is in the territory of fayetteville high school.   I believe that this very situation (overlapping zones in a open zone districts) is the reason the "bus route" language is in the by-laws.   

For this reason, i think the only legal leg that fayetteville has to stand on is that the assistant director doesn't have authority to overrule the director. 

2 minutes ago, PullinGuard said:

They were correct early on and are incorrect now. 

There is no logical basis whatsoever to conclude that FHS is not a 'system-wide' school, given that it's the only High School in the system.  As a system-wide public school, the territory of FHS is defined exclusively by the geographic boundaries.  Bus routes are entirely irrelevant to system-wide public schools under the rules.  They are relevant to zoned systems where specific schools serve specific areas within the zone only.

Then would t their geographic territory be inside their city limits?