Springfield and Elizabethton in the 4A Championship

gr8tplay

7 minutes ago, JacketLover said:

It’s already been said on here, and I mean no disrespect to any of the NE Tenn folks who are commenting, but if you guys want to discuss the academics and such at Betsy and other Carter County schools, start a thread dedicated to that. Let’s keep it to the game on this one. The teams aren’t going to change between now and next Saturday. 

Springfield is going to line up and play and so is Elizabethton. May the best team win. 

How would you say this years Springfield team would compare to the 2017 that made it to state?  Betsy has a Strong line on both sides of the ball, a tough rb, athletic WR's and a Duel Threat QB you will need to spy or he will take off and hurt your feelings.  Are the WR as big as the ones Greeneville had on that 2017 No, but will make plays and have speed.  The game will be won in the trenches and Betsy is deep at that position

1 minute ago, Swipes said:

How would you say this years Springfield team would compare to the 2017 that made it to state?  Betsy has a Strong line on both sides of the ball, a tough rb, athletic WR's and a Duel Threat QB you will need to spy or he will take off and hurt your feelings.  Are the WR as big as the ones Greeneville had on that 2017 No, but will make plays and have speed.  The game will be won in the trenches and Betsy is deep at that position

Jackets have the same strenghts plus 3 Sr LBs that have played alot of football

43 minutes ago, FridayMainEvent said:

Tell ya what, fellas, Coach Wilson has done a heck of a Coaching job this year.   After the loss to Marshall County I didn't see this as a possibility.  He's a great Coach and he loves his program!

No doubt, Coach Wilson is a great coach. That being said, IMHO, this season is BY FAR the best job he has ever done. This team was expected by many to go to the playoffs and possibly win one game. Very few people expected them to advance past rd2 of the playoffs and virtually no one expected them to beat Hardin Co, much less Haywood. And yet, here they are again with a chance to win a state championship. Go Jackets!!!

• Upvote 1

Just now, FargoStrut said:

No doubt, Coach Wilson is a great coach. That being said, IMHO, this season is BY FAR the best job he has ever done. This team was expected by many to go to the playoffs and possibly win one game. Very few people expected them to advance past rd2 of the playoffs and virtually no one expected them to beat Hardin Co, much less Haywood. And yet, here they are again with a chance to win a state championship. Go Jackets!!!

I agree. We lost all of the firepower from last yrs team. 

2 minutes ago, FargoStrut said:

Brother, he is just the absolute best Head Coach in the state bar none 

7 minutes ago, brian2000 said:

Jackets have the same strenghts plus 3 Sr LBs that have played alot of football

Are they as good as "Fat Cat" Johnson and that 2017 team Though?  Just trying to compare from what I've seen from Betsy this year and what I saw in that 2017 team since I haven't seen Springfield play this year?

There are a ton of starters for Betsy that have started for them the past couple of years when they gave Greeneville some of their best games (24-10 in 17 and 35-20 in 18)

28 minutes ago, Swipes said:

This year’s team is stronger on defense, but not as strong on offense. This year’s defense is senior heavy, I think we start 6-7 seniors on defense, whereas on offense we only start two. The 2017 team had more dynamic offensive talent and was a better passing team. The 2019 team is far more run heavy on offense, but Hudson can throw it well at times. The 2019 team has basically the same coaches, except there are two different assistants that started this year. This year’s staff has done an excellent job at using this team’s strengths, which really were only learned as the season wore on. Springfield’s teams always seem to get better as the season progresses. People will point to the Marshall County loss and say we aren’t as good as teams on the eastern side of the bracket. I’m here to tell you that the team that is facing Elizabethton isn’t the same team that faced Marshall County. This team is leaps and bounds better. They also play within themselves very well, and don’t try to do things they can’t. It as fundamentally sound a Springfield team as I can remember. That’s a direct result of good coaching. 

Edited by JacketLover

23 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Are they as good as "Fat Cat" Johnson and that 2017 team Though?  Just trying to compare from what I've seen from Betsy this year and what I saw in that 2017 team since I haven't seen Springfield play this year?

There are a ton of starters for Betsy that have started for them the past couple of years when they gave Greeneville some of their best games (24-10 in 17 and 35-20 in 18)

That's what is so hard to describe about this years team...on paper they're not as "talented" as years past.  But the game isn't played on paper.  This team just grinds, plays really hard, and finds ways to win.  I agree this is the coaching staffs best job so far.  Now that they are here, who knows what could happen! 

52 minutes ago, JacketLover said:

It’s already been said on here, and I mean no disrespect to any of the NE Tenn folks who are commenting, but if you guys want to discuss the academics and such at Betsy and other Carter County schools, start a thread dedicated to that. Let’s keep it to the game on this one. The teams aren’t going to change between now and next Saturday. 

Springfield is going to line up and play and so is Elizabethton. May the best team win. 

47 minutes ago, Cummins354 said:

Eilzabethton wins. There coaching staff can win with anybody.

Ty JacketLover, we do NOT care about open/closed zones, recruiting, or anything else not related to how these 2 teams match up Sat, I am just going to ignore this thread if that is all it is going to be this week...

Cummins354 these will be 2 very well coached teams, Springfield has one of the best coaching staffs in the state.....

We got some real smart ones on this thread. EHS has had success before Rollins and Maupin. This year is a combination of hard work and young players stepping up. Guarantee there less than a handful of teams not named Alcoa or Maryville that could beat Greeneville twice in one year. This year's team is for real and possibly one of the best ones to come through since 2016 when they went toe for toe with Alcoa. Springfield looks like a solid team but EHS has played some solid teams. What I want to know is what does Springfield bring to the table that Nolensville and Greeneville did not have? What surprises does your team have?