COVID-19 2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SEASON

1 hour ago, Joyful95 said:

306 high school football teams in Tennessee.

Not playing week 1

Shelby County-30 schools

Nashville- 20 schools, including some privates

Clarksville- 7 schools

Does anyone know who else is not playing week #1? Either due to school system policy or covid outbreak.

I know in Upper East TN we have 5 possibly 7 depending on what happens this week.  Games, so 10 -14 teams depending on how you are looking at it.

Edited by formerblazer

33 minutes ago, Sidelinehustler said:

Anyone else have the opinion that sports just aren’t the same without fans in the stands? It’s hard for me to watch MLB without the fans. 

Really depends on the sport and situation to me .On TV, I can watch and even  turn down the sound of a baseball game and really don't care  if I see or hear the crowd. Being there at any kind of sport  can be different both ways. I use to love being in the crowd at UT games. Especially if it was one like when Peyton lead them to a victory in an  away game against Alabama. Sometimes I hated it and loved it in the same game ( Arkansas vs Tennessee 1998 )..  An old man sitting behind BVD and myself,cursed the team until he left with about five or six minutes to go in the game.I said the only good thing about this game is that old son of a dog waited since 1951 and this happened to someone like that.Well,turned out that the great fans like BVD and myself got to see a miracle after the old man had gone.

4 hours ago, Sidelinehustler said:

I have a bad feeling we are about to be Charlie Brown’d by Lucy. The college cancellations give me that sinking feeling in my stomach. 

I personally don’t think colleges cancelling will affect all states. We have already seen where all governors have different opinions. Been hearing rumblings of a governors meeting this week for a law passed releasing liability with Covid in Tennessee. Pros will play. Colleges cancelling won’t have an effect on them, IMO. 

Edited by pioneer42
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 12:27 PM, Salem said:

A quality test with a 2 day turnaround is not free. Have you had the test? It’s uncomfortable and even painful. It’s pointless to subject thousands of TN kids to this weekly. Watery eyes and even bloody noses are common. 

If little Johnny Football isn't tough enough to handle a swab test, I do not think football is the right sport for him.  Lord know what could happen to little Johnny Football practices if the temps get above 90 degrees.....he might break out in a sweat.  

The argument is shifting at the college level. It is now not about actually contracting covid 19, which is generally not serious or deadly for young people, to the concern over the long lasting cardiovascular effects of contracting covid. One study showed 73 out of 100 recovered covid patients showed T1 myocardial mapping issues.  

Understand that at present time no one knows what, if any, effects this might have on recovered covid patients. But it attacks the premise of young people who contract covid are not at risk.  

This line of reasoning means that the only to play sports safely is if there is a vaccine. This may be the reasoning, or attack depending on your beliefs, that keeps sports shutdown as well as many other things.

8 hours ago, Sidelinehustler said:

Anyone else have the opinion that sports just aren’t the same without fans in the stands? It’s hard for me to watch MLB without the fans. 

Not watching them anymore after their support of Marxist on opening night. Apparently a lot of others aren't watching either by rating on TV.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeeterTot2 said:

If little Johnny Football isn't tough enough to handle a swab test, I do not think football is the right sport for him.  Lord know what could happen to little Johnny Football practices if the temps get above 90 degrees.....he might break out in a sweat.  

You sound like a really tough guy.  Football season runs from August to December go get you a free gentle swab every Wednesday and report back in December. 

9 minutes ago, Sidelinehustler said:

I’m avoiding the brain swab until it’s absolutely necessary. 

I'm wondering why the swab has to go up into your brain? They can get the same sample from inside your cheek or in your throat. So why do you have to stick that swab to the innermost reaches of a person's brain?

2 minutes ago, tj3775 said:

I'm wondering why the swab has to go up into your brain? They can get the same sample from inside your cheek or in your throat. So why do you have to stick that swab to the innermost reaches of a person's brain?

It actually goes into your sinus cavity. But to answer your question, I don’t know. My understanding is they now are doing some swabs in the nose instead of sinus cavity. 

• CoachT locked this topic