Trenton Peabody @ Dyersburg

GrumpyBulldog

2 hours ago, ShaneJacobs said:

I regret that I did not answer the most obvious question.

Why not play this week?

Allow me to offer our explanation. Coach Stowe called me Tuesday around noon. I’d rather not share specific information within our program, but I can be general enough to perhaps provide enough clarification. If we played Friday night, we would be without 6-9 key players (a few would have been game-time decisions). Our streak will end one day, but we will not give it away by playing a very good football team (with almost zero preparation) and some of our best players unavailable. We were (and still are) willing to play opponents who would have talent similar to talent we would have been able to put on the field. I gave Coach Dilfer and a few other schools the same answer. There is no question in my mind that, given some inside information which I won’t disclose, every coach would have made the same decision to decline games with Dyersburg, Lipscomb, Oakland, etc. 

A team will end the streak. It was almost the best player in the country who did it. If it would’ve happened last Friday (against Westview), so be it. We were fortunate and they almost did it. We will not give this streak away. It will be earned by an opponent. When that day comes, our players and coaches will shake hands and sincerely be proud for that team and their community. 
Streak or no streak, we’re not putting younger and much less experienced  players on the field against a high quality football team like the teams I mentioned above. Doing that would be a completely irresponsible way to run a program. I understand playing Friday seems obvious, but there are decisions that head coaches make who have information about which no one else knows. We’re certainly not always right, but we do the best we can to be as thorough in our decision-making process as possible.

That’s all that was needed to be said by the Peabody fans in the know on here. No one would expect a team to enter a game on short notice 6-9 key players down. People can respect that decision. Those are just facts. But that is why this is a conversation board and peoples opinions are made on here whether they are correct or not. Thanks for the explanation and good luck with the rest of your season. 

Im only gonna say a couple of things.

1. When UC was at the top of 1A , we heard it from everyone that we shouldn’t be in that classification. Our town was to big or we lied about our enrollment. Pfffft. We got it all.?

2. UC should play up in classification. Suggesting that we were to scared to move up. However, as  1 A team, we beat teams like Dyersburg and even went out of state and beat teams that were a higher classification than us. 
3. Our first year in 2A we won the State Championship and people still gave us crap even after we played in a higher classification than we had for some time.

This is it folks. There is a price that is paid for success. The teams that have developed their  young men and have bought into a program are the ones who can compete with any other team. Notice I said compete, not defeat.  Success breeds success. If the players ever lose sight of the program then the hand writing is on the wall. That team will be watching, what was once a storied program, become nothing more than a flash in the pan.

1 hour ago, BigSwoShow said:

Im only gonna say a couple of things.

1. When UC was at the top of 1A , we heard it from everyone that we shouldn’t be in that classification. Our town was to big or we lied about our enrollment. Pfffft. We got it all.?

2. UC should play up in classification. Suggesting that we were to scared to move up. However, as  1 A team, we beat teams like Dyersburg and even went out of state and beat teams that were a higher classification than us. 
3. Our first year in 2A we won the State Championship and people still gave us crap even after we played in a higher classification than we had for some time.

This is it folks. There is a price that is paid for success. The teams that have developed their  young men and have bought into a program are the ones who can compete with any other team. Notice I said compete, not defeat.  Success breeds success. If the players ever lose sight of the program then the hand writing is on the wall. That team will be watching, what was once a storied program, become nothing more than a flash in the pan.

Not even fair to compare UC and Peabody. Those UC teams were dogs and y'all would travel to places like Texas South Carolina and Pennsylvania (I think) to play a football game. Y'all were openly looking for the best competition you could find. Whether I personally thought y'all should've been a 1A team or not it was impossible not to respect y'all.