Bradley vs Cleveland

TheTreyB

13 hours ago, FargoStrut said:

Their coaching staff is smart enough to know which battle(s) could possibly be winnable and which ones are not.

This is despicable and sends the wrong message to the kids and parents.  If at all possible you should absolutely never forfeit a match.  People can say whatever they want but a forfeit because you may have the odds stacked against you is not the mentally tough attitude that kids need to have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cbg said:

This is despicable and sends the wrong message to the kids and parents.  If at all possible you should absolutely never forfeit a match.  People can say whatever they want but a forfeit because you may have the odds stacked against you is not the mentally tough attitude that kids need to have.

While I agree it’s Been happening for a decade plus between them 

2 hours ago, cbg said:

With all due respect to everyone involved, I believe the message was sent and received a couple weeks ago. I have ZERO affiliation with BC and was merely speculating as to why they would forfeit. When your "best case scenario" is losing in the 50-12 ballpark range and coming away with everyone healthy (could very easily lose 70-0 and have one or 2 kids get injured), you "punt" on the dual and take your chances with a completely healthy region runner-up team and hope like heck that you can knock off the opposite region's champ for the opportunity to go to the state tournament. One can only assume that the BC coach and his staff made a decision that they felt was in the best interest of their team. I would COMPLETELY agree with you if their dual was semi-competitive a few weeks ago, but gonna have to disagree here. 

Edited by FargoStrut
Spelling
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cbg said:

50 State Championships

Sounds like they value the end goal more than pleasing others. 

3 hours ago, cbg said:

I endorse this message. 

12 hours ago, cbg said:

Amen.

I disagree.  There are times as coaches you place the health of your kids above all else.  Sickness?  Injury?  We don't know what is going on and i agree with FargoStrut. Kids could be hurt,  sickness could be going around.  They may be banged up and just want to get healthy. 

If you just recently wrestled and it wasn't competitive,  all you're doing is taking a beating for the sake of pleasing the ego driven fans/parents. We know what the result will be.   Go ahead and focus on individuals if you want.  

See it all the time in D1 college where guy medical FF out of  tournaments to save themselves wear and tear. 

• Upvote 1

Personally, i see it as, there's no way Bradley beats Cleveland, none. Why risk the injury when the dual with Blackman coming up is FAR more important? Im not sure the lesson needing to be taught here is "dont quit" so much as it is "pick your battles" or " you live to fight another day".

• Upvote 3

The problem is the hypocrisy.  Wrestlers, coaches, and parents of wrestlers like to think of themselves as "different". "Built different" as they frequently and loudly proclaim. This just shows you, your sport, your team, and the parents around it aren't different.  You are just like everyone else in every other team sport.  Might get whipped? Don't wrestle.  Might get injured then we don't wanna wrestle.  Smells like every other sport to me. 

Edited by oceansize42

This is a great quote. Love it. Congrats to Bryant and his guys. Great job by he and his staff having his guys ready to compete.

22 hours ago, Rasslinking said:

50 State Championships. Looks like they value the end goal more than pleasing people.

Edited by FrecoFanatic

On 1/26/2024 at 7:51 PM, cbg said:

Gonna make a football analogy for a few of my peeps on here. BC down 17-0 with abt 30 seconds left in the 2nd quarter, facing a 4th and 20 from their own 25 yd line. Do you go for it bc you "may" score? NO, you punt and hope to take it to the half down only 17-0, possibly make some adjustments, hopefully execute better and come back in the 2nd half with a better chance to win than if you were to have went for it. BC advanced AT LEAST one more "game" further in the "playoffs" possibly in part to their staff being focused on the big picture instead of a single (play) match that very easily could've been detrimental to the team (injuries, morale, etc) accomplishing another goal. Now, they have the opportunity and somewhat decent shot at a silver trophy. Will they be able to earn it? Probably not, but I guarantee you it's a whole lot better chance than most teams have next weekend. Add in the fact of being on the side opposite Cleveland, their chance of advancing to the finals could very well be better than a couple of teams that are better than them.

FYI- Next weekend, BC will be facing the exact same situation except this time it's getting late in the 4th quarter and their playoff hopes are on the line. DON'T expect any more "punts".

Edited by FargoStrut
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, oceansize42 said:

The problem is the hypocrisy.  Wrestlers, coaches, and parents of wrestlers like to think of themselves as "different". "Built different" as they frequently and loudly proclaim. This just shows you, your sport, your team, and the parents around it aren't different.  You are just like everyone else in every other team sport.  Might get whipped? Don't wrestle.  Might get injured then we don't wanna wrestle.  Smells like every other sport to me. 

Totally agree Ocean till last sentence. You probably remember Unaka forfeiting a 1st round TSSAA playoff game. They were stripped of the right of going to states for the remainder of the school year in other sports. So we are treated by the TSSAA  with kid gloves.