Maryville @ Alcoa 2009

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as it hurts me to write this post, I have to give Alcoa alot of credit. They were the dominating team last night. They will represent BC very well all the way to another State Championship. I don't think there is a team in the state in any class that can stop their running game.

I'm disappointed in some of these Maryville posts that are already looking at losing 4 and 5 games this season and talking about poor coaching. As bad as we looked last night, here are some things to consider....

1. (and most importantly, in my opinion) Alcoa is just dominating this year, give them a lot of credit for Maryville looking so bad.

2. GQ has a good QB and recievers, they will adjust and make plays.

3. The coaching staff will give the team a chance to win against any opponent. We were ahead at half...if you watched the game how could that be. The score was a lot closer than the game. We were still in position to win the game into the 4th quarter.

4. The O and D line will only get better under Ellis and crew.

5. We don't have a tradition of losing...we will not accept losing. This team will find the grit to battle and they will improve throughout the season.

6. Dane McCoy is moving to running back... :?:

Go Rebels

Wow...finally. :D Congrats Alcoa!

Now, Maryville........it don't take a rocket scientist to take a look at Maryville's roster and understand they are going to be a great team the following two years. Even this year, as the youth starts to pick up game experience they are going to get a lot better! I watched Alcoa scrimmage both Farragut and Oak Ridge. Alcoa controlled the LOS and ran the ball like they did last night. In comparison,Maryvilles offense is better than Oak Ridges and will be on par, and in a couple of games better than Farragut's.

My thoughts is Maryville bounces back like Alcoa has after the M/A game. I think Maryville gets the wins against West, McMinn Co, Heritage, Oak Ridge, Bearden, and Knox Catholic. At this point Maryville will be playing Maryville football and ready for the show down with Farragut! Then two more wins over WB and LC and they be a threat come play-off time! :?: worst i see..........8-2,.....but I'm hoping 9-1. :lol:

Thanks BC and congratulations on the win! I think you have a better perception of where Maryville is as a team than a lot of Maryville fans. We will rebound and only get better. Like Alcoa in years past, we will only get better from losing this game. Losing doesn't sit very well with winners...it kinda sucks! :?:

As much as it hurts me to write this post, I have to give Alcoa alot of credit. They were the dominating team last night. They will represent BC very well all the way to another State Championship. I don't think there is a team in the state in any class that can stop their running game.

I'm disappointed in some of these Maryville posts that are already looking at losing 4 and 5 games this season and talking about poor coaching. As bad as we looked last night, here are some things to consider....

1. (and most importantly, in my opinion) Alcoa is just dominating this year, give them a lot of credit for Maryville looking so bad.

2. GQ has a good QB and recievers, they will adjust and make plays.

3. The coaching staff will give the team a chance to win against any opponent. We were ahead at half...if you watched the game how could that be. The score was a lot closer than the game. We were still in position to win the game into the 4th quarter.

4. The O and D line will only get better under Ellis and crew.

5. We don't have a tradition of losing...we will not accept losing. This team will find the grit to battle and they will improve throughout the season.

6. Dane McCoy is moving to running back... B)

Go Rebels

I want to clarify my thoughts.

My 5-5 statement was hingent upon the line play not improving. I really don't see that happening. With three sophomores on the line, it will get better.

After looking at the schedule again and how it lays out, my take is 8-2, maybe 7-3 (I'm just not that familiar with a couple of teams). The next four games all look like wins (although I haven't the foggiest idea about McMinn Co.), although they may be of the ugly win variety. They should be much improved before they hit the Bearden/Catholic/Faragut gauntlet of the schedule. I just think one of those three will get them.

However, barring any major injuries, I think they will be ready to make a nice little run once November rolls around.

Like I have told others though - if you are going to get them, you better do it this year.

Not that my post it will mean very much here to some readers but I too must give Alcoa all of the credit due them. They beat my Rebels like a red headed rented mule. Alcoa’s offensive front line man handled Maryville like very few others have the past 12 years have. A small but very agile and quick RB ran free and only faced arm tackles all night. Maryville failed to adjust and spread the field like years past and got beat outside on about the same play about 25 times by my count. Can’t really say if Alcoa is a complete team because I did not get to see their passing attack, but heck if your opponent can’t come close to stopping your powerful running attack, why pass? I would say Coach R will get the passing thing going when he feels like he needs that speed to run under the ball down field at some point in the season. Alcoa also showed a great deal of class. Had Maryville had a few of those D ends and LB’s that they had during the past 10 years, this game might have been different. MHS’s front seven have a long way to go. The MHS O played like it was the first scrimmage of the season. The secondary should not have to make most of the tackles 8-12 yards behind the line of scrimmage from behind.

Good luck to Alcoa the rest of the way, you got the goods this year and deserve to enjoy your big win. Now it is on to the normal cake save for Fulton. And maybe CAK, but by seasons end Rankin will really have that steamroller moving! We got beat and our butts got handed to us by our cross town rival.

This is the best Alcoa has ever been the past 15 years IMO.

Sea Salt is better for crow.

As far as Maryville, my beloved Rebels will improve. They would’nt beat Alcoa later in the year unless something really incredible happends. Good thing we might only have to take that kind of beating once a year. GQ is still the best coach in the game. Jimmy and David will demand better and the Rebels will respond. Saw a solid outstanding kicker and a DT who could out run a fast back field for 50 yards after getting the hand-off. Buddy looked great but he can’t make his own seams or holes when he is running up a blockers back. Aside from that not much to smile about. (Excluding those great Alcoa booster Cheeseburgers) MHS is also not the team of old. I do agree with another poster, if GQ does not get Coach White in check the program will lose some class. I know most of those officials personally and I can tell you GQ will be getting a phone call about this situation. Those who are connected know what I speak of and the poor performance by the Rebels last night has little to do with coaching ability, we are talking about class and the programs earned reputation for that class. Maryville is a champion and wins and loses that way. Real fans will still travel and support eh Rebels. I remember when GQ went 0-4, the rest is the stuff of legend, records and history.

Nuff-Said.

I drove nearly 5 1/2-6 hours one way to come watch this game. I was not disappointed in the performance by either team. Both teams are extremely good and both teams will have very good seasons. Alcoa dominated the line of scrimmage as people have already said and that was the difference in the game. Maryville is not as bad as some of the faithful claim on here. They will make a deeeeeeeep run into the post season again and could very well wind up in Cookeville once things get completely rolling for the Rebels. Alcoa will definately be in Cookeville for sure. Best of luck to the Rebels this year as well as the Tornados!!! Hope to see both teams playing for a state championship this year!

Wow...finally. B) Congrats Alcoa!

Now, Maryville........it don't take a rocket scientist to take a look at Maryville's roster and understand they are going to be a great team the following two years. Even this year, as the youth starts to pick up game experience they are going to get a lot better! I watched Alcoa scrimmage both Farragut and Oak Ridge. Alcoa controlled the LOS and ran the ball like they did last night. In comparison,Maryvilles offense is better than Oak Ridges and will be on par, and in a couple of games better than Farragut's.

My thoughts is Maryville bounces back like Alcoa has after the M/A game. I think Maryville gets the wins against West, McMinn Co, Heritage, Oak Ridge, Bearden, and Knox Catholic. At this point Maryville will be playing Maryville football and ready for the show down with Farragut! Then two more wins over WB and LC and they be a threat come play-off time! B) worst i see..........8-2,.....but I'm hoping 9-1. :thumb:

This is weird, but I (an avid Alcoa fan) find myself defending Maryville agaisnt some (MHS fans) who appear to be dumping on the Rebs. If you look at an earlier post you will see that I have said that I believe that Maryville will gel and GQ will have his troops on point. Maryville is "still" Maryville and I don't foresee them losing five games as somebody on here prophesied. Good points BCSportsfan and I agree worse case scenario 8-2.

As fer as Coach White havin' klass orr not......Well if'un we wuz playin' Arena leegue......orr Canadian leegue....Then tha ref maid tha rite call on tha extree point wif tha Alcouh player runnin' tord tha line ov scrimmage on tha extree point....Butt eye did'unt thank yee can be movin forward when tha bawl's snapped.....Sumbody correct me...if'un thiz iz rong and we'll install us sum Arena 2 point plays....wif players runnin' tord tha line at tha snap.....Knott that hit affected tha outcome..... B)