MR. FOOTBALL

ZEBRA35

It's really hard to be able to vote for the best bc All I see is mostly the East part of the state and some the middle and some the west.  It's just like the polls and just going by stats they see is how they vote. A Mr. Football to me is someone that stands out above all competition on the field plus is a great role model off the field and a scholar in the class room.  

5 minutes ago, sportman said:

It's really hard to be able to vote for the best bc All I see is mostly the East part of the state and some the middle and some the west.  It's just like the polls and just going by stats they see is how they vote. A Mr. Football to me is someone that stands out above all competition on the field plus is a great role model off the field and a scholar in the class room.  

Jacob Warbritton of Huntingdon broke the all-time single season rushing record and still holds the all-time single season rushing record for a QB and didn't win it.  That's like Peyton Manning not winning the heisman. This award is a popularity contest.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Croppygenius said:

Jacob Warbritton of Huntingdon broke the all-time single season rushing record and still holds the all-time single season rushing record for a QB and didn't win it.  That's like Peyton Manning not winning the heisman. This award is a popularity contest.

Warbritton was robbed that year, for sure. Such a shame. 

As far as this year, Huntingdon doesn't have any one player that's as dominant as Warbritton was, or even Kade Pearson for that matter. Ensley is good, no doubt, but he doesn't seem to take over games the way warbritton and Pearson did. 

No detriment to him, the Mustangs just have more options on the offense this year with Lawton running hard at someone every time he touches the ball and Robinson being a threat to take it to the house on any given play. He still has time to influence my opinion with his arm, though, if Huntingdon decides to start showing it off a little more. He's a better passer than what I saw from the previous 2 QB's.

I definitely agree with the sentiment on Huntingdon's kicker. He has performed as well as any Huntingdon kicker that I've seen in a LONG time. With his 45 yarder a couple weeks ago, he's shown that kicking could actually be a weapon for Huntingdon this year instead of their downfall. 

It's really early for Mr Football talk, but I'd like to see some of the stats we've got across the state at the halfway mark.

I believe the voters like to see familiarity among the teams. Kind of like when Terrance Bell of Huntingdon couldn’t even get a nomination but helped pave the way for Boo Weathers and Chris Donald to get there’s when Huntingdon went on their streak. Also, I believe Bruceton won 3 Mr Footballs in a short amount of time between 04-08. Again familiarity. Not fair at all but just the way it is. Like a poster said above, no one truly knows who is the elite across the state because it’s hard to get an unbiased opinion when you only see 1/3 of the teams play.

Edited by fullbackdive

4 minutes ago, sportsnutz said:

Warbritton was robbed that year, for sure. Such a shame. 

As far as this year, Huntingdon doesn't have any one player that's as dominant as Warbritton was, or even Kade Pearson for that matter. Ensley is good, no doubt, but he doesn't seem to take over games the way warbritton and Pearson did. 

No detriment to him, the Mustangs just have more options on the offense this year with Lawton running hard at someone every time he touches the ball and Robinson being a threat to take it to the house on any given play. He still has time to influence my opinion with his arm, though, if Huntingdon decides to start showing it off a little more. He's a better passer than what I saw from the previous 2 QB's.

I definitely agree with the sentiment on Huntingdon's kicker. He has performed as well as any Huntingdon kicker that I've seen in a LONG time. With his 45 yarder a couple weeks ago, he's shown that kicking could actually be a weapon for Huntingdon this year instead of their downfall. 

It's really early for Mr Football talk, but I'd like to see some of the stats we've got across the state at the halfway mark.

Coach Swenson is not giving Ensley the amount of carries that Warbritton and Pearson got. Don't know why as his yard per carry average has got to be way up there. Coach put a big load on his last few quarterbacks and by the end of the season they were pretty beat up. He may be changing his thinking a little.

29 minutes ago, Croppygenius said:

That’s why I’m not even participating in this and naming any of Peabody’s athletes. Way too much bias in who wins the award 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Croppygenius said:

Coach Swenson is not giving Ensley the amount of carries that Warbritton and Pearson got. Don't know why as his yard per carry average has got to be way up there. Coach put a big load on his last few quarterbacks and by the end of the season they were pretty beat up. He may be changing his thinking a little.

Don't think Pearson or Insley can be compared with either Warbritton.The Warbrittons did against alot tougher competition. 

1 hour ago, Croppygenius said:

Didn't he get surpassed the following day for the all-time single rushing record. Wasn't both set during Blue Cross Bowl championship games? 

14 minutes ago, horse said:

Don't think Pearson or Insley can be compared with either Warbritton.The Warbrittons did against alot tougher competition. 

Jacob was a straight up stud. Pearson was hard nosed and tough. Much respect for both. I saw first hand the beating Pearson took and he just keep coming. I’d take a team full of players like that.