Redneck Buried-ville thread (Okelund-Mairvul)

STARSNBARS

3 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Question for all Maryville folks: was there ever a team in this 25 yr stretch that made the semifinals that took you by suprise? I know GQ had a team win state that started 0-4 ( 99 or 2000 maybe?), any others ?

That was in 2000 the 0-4 start. 

Edited by rebelwoman87

2000 was amazing.  I never saw a team improve so much.  Maryville started out the season with a 14 7 loss to eventual 2A State Champ Alcoa.  Maryville outgained them in yardage 3 to 1 but 6 turnovers did Maryville in. The next week Maryville lost a close game to Central 21 14.  The next week Maryville lost to Heritage 28 0. That was the low point in the season.  Heritage took starters out in 4th quarter and showed pity. The next week Maryville lost to 0 3 Halls  21 14. It was 14 0 Halftime Halls. Maryville didn't have a 1st down at halftime.  I thought it was going to be a 0 10 season.  What changed is Quarles changed quarterback.  Scott Wilks was the starter the 1st 4 games. He was a much better receiver.  Nick Giles came in and Maryville started moving the ball.  After that loss to Halls Maryville won the rest of their games. 

34 minutes ago, REBELRON said:

2000 was amazing.  I never saw a team improve so much.  Maryville started out the season with a 14 7 loss to eventual 2A State Champ Alcoa.  Maryville outgained them in yardage 3 to 1 but 6 turnovers did Maryville in. The next week Maryville lost a close game to Central 21 14.  The next week Maryville lost to Heritage 28 0. That was the low point in the season.  Heritage took starters out in 4th quarter and showed pity. The next week Maryville lost to 0 3 Halls  21 14. It was 14 0 Halftime Halls. Maryville didn't have a 1st down at halftime.  I thought it was going to be a 0 10 season.  What changed is Quarles changed quarterback.  Scott Wilks was the starter the 1st 4 games. He was a much better receiver.  Nick Giles came in and Maryville started moving the ball.  After that loss to Halls Maryville won the rest of their games. 

Scott Wilks was suspended for the 1st four games and didn't play.

Edited by JSamson7

Well our first year moving up to 6A was actually the first year of 6A , 2009 , and it was supposed to be a down year . we had several games where it didn't look good . I remember thinking man what a terrible year to make the move to 6A .... Alcoa beat us like a drum and made us like it ... I think they only had one pass , they didn't need to pass , they ran it right down our throat .

Well I was shocked to be playing White Station for the first 6A State Championship ... they had a great mobile QB and it proved to be too big a mountain to climb ... but as I began to walk off after that Game I saw something that gave me as much Pride as I've had in some of our Championship teams ... and still gives me chill bumps every time I think about it . We've seen it all with some teams when it's come time to get the 2nd place trophy , including not even going to get it , but when they Said ....  2nd place ... the Maryville high school Red Rebels , the whole team ran out there like it was the Super bowl Trophy , and ran back with it to our crowd and raised it high in the air ... I screamed my lungs out !! I remember thinking how Proud I was of them boys and those Coaches .

I stay and watch every Trophy now ... Silver or Gold , and I'm proud no matter which one it is because the Rebels show just as much Class going to get either one of them . 

Edited by pepvol
  • Like 4

I like your story better pep. I was always told they threw those runner up trophies off Fort Loudon dam as they came back across the river. (only kidding)

The weird thing about this game is that neither team really knows how good the other teams talent really is until they start playing. No real common opponents. Alcoa played Blackman but you never know if one played bad or not.

safe travels for the pats tomorrow.

4 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

I think the runner up season in 1997 was a surprise. Just to get back to the Championship game after a long absence and getting thoroughly whipped by Cleveland a few years earlier. 

That was a great turn around season for sure. That team to me really brought us out of a big recession we went into for seventeen years straight years without any appearances in the big game and really set the tone for many to come. David Sweetland had a super great year and his performance against Halls was unbelievable with that game saving catch he made that night. He also beat Alcoa with two touchdowns catches also. That championship game was bitter cold and I remember the announcer at halftime not realizing they were still on air said it was so cold his az was about to freeze off and I still have that on a recorded VHS tape.