Never too early....Who wins Class A 2020-21

gogold

1 hour ago, purplengolduc said:

Wouldn't expect anything less from you. Welcome back to earth, your multiple D1 players have graduated. Eddie will get the lions share of the attention this year. She is a very good player but can she carry the team?? Miss Basketball Finalist???? Are you sure about that? Hard being the best player(both offensively and defensively) on the team, not hard to be effective when you are the 3rd option. Please think basketball logic and not local bias. This will be a very heavy load to carry for her. 

Here's your time to take over the district, Its Union City's time to shine. Greenfield has to fill some big shoes to fill. Tess Darby & Chloe  Moore McNeil -  Probably best duo to ever come out of Class A ever in the state of Tennessee. Greenfield fans are pretty proud of those two girls, they gave our little town a ride that we will always remember.

Edie Darby will be the best player in the district and maybe the region In my opinion.  Reese Biggs and Caroline Crouse are ready to go and will be critical for us this year if we are able to go back to state.  Don't know who will fill the other two spots. One thing that will help us is we will have the best coaches in the district again this year, they will get everything out of their team. We will have to beat UC in the tournaments.  I don't expect us to beat UC until district or region tournament.

At the end of the day, Edie knows how to win and what it takes to win. She can and will lead this team. She has had a successful summer in travel ball with one of the top travel teams in the country against the best players in the country. She will absolutely be in the conversation for Miss Basketball as she is one of the best players in Single A ball without question. Madison Hart is right there with her.

Greenfield and Union City will be a great game every time they play. I thought Reedy did a great job of coaching the Union City bunch last year. I'll be interested in how the new hire does and the style he plays.

First of all, let me say Eddie Darby is a winner. She is an elite basketball player. She has thrived playing with exemplary talent. Again there is a difference playing with talent and having the freedom to play your game and being the player who gets all the attention. Last year all the attention went to the duo and she was able to have the other team's 3rd or 4th best defenders guarding her. This year will be different. Lastly, it is UC opportunity to win the district but if you can recall we did run this district for 3 yrs about the same length of time Greenfield just completed. 2011-2014 ending with a State Championship and a 37-0 record. This is going to be some quality basketball in 13A and Region 7A.

Edie Darby is absolutely talented enough to be a Miss Basketball finalist. If you don’t believe that, then you don’t watch much basketball. She’s phenomenal defensively.  I expect she scores at a really high level this year because she’ll have to for Greenfield to be successful. 
Union City and Gibson Co both have potential finalists. The Monday twins at Clarkrange could be finalists. There are a few other players that probably deserve mentions. However, I’ll be floored if anybody other than Karly Weathers wins the award this year. She was great last year and, like Edie Darby, will likely score even more this year as her supporting cast will not be as good.

31 minutes ago, maddams said:

Edie Darby is absolutely talented enough to be a Miss Basketball finalist. If you don’t believe that, then you don’t watch much basketball. She’s phenomenal defensively.  I expect she scores at a really high level this year because she’ll have to for Greenfield to be successful. 
Union City and Gibson Co both have potential finalists. The Monday twins at Clarkrange could be finalists. There are a few other players that probably deserve mentions. However, I’ll be floored if anybody other than Karly Weathers wins the award this year. She was great last year and, like Edie Darby, will likely score even more this year as her supporting cast will not be as good.

It's because I watch so much basketball that I'm telling you this will be a different year for her. It's one thing to be a contributing factor, it's a completely different story to be the factor. That's all I am saying. Her supporting cast will determine how much dedicated attention she gets. The other girls you named as potential finalist all have someone else to be on the floor with them. Without another option on the floor to keep the attention balanced, it will all focus her way. I'm talking basic basketball, if your team has one player them you stop that player. Simple basketball principles.  

3 minutes ago, purplengolduc said:

It's because I watch so much basketball that I'm telling you this will be a different year for her. It's one thing to be a contributing factor, it's a completely different story to be the factor. That's all I am saying. Her supporting cast will determine how much dedicated attention she gets. The other girls you named as potential finalist all have someone else to be on the floor with them. Without another option on the floor to keep the attention balanced, it will all focus her way. I'm talking basic basketball, if your team has one player them you stop that player. Simple basketball principles.  

So what you are saying is she will have a greater admiration for Chloe Moore and the weight she carried. Biggs and Crouse have the ability to step their game up to take a little pressure off of her. I think they will some but I will agree with you that having all of the weight on your shoulders is a little different. What Gibson County and Union City has to do to beat them is handle their fast paced pressure defense, something neither team did well last year against them. And we also have the Peabody’s, Gleason’s, Bradford’s and Dresden’s to go through as well which is never easy. Think West TN will be tough again. Do think Union City might have an experience edge on Gibson County and Greenfield especially early. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Gibson County and Greenfield lose some early because they have some new players and new roles that make take a minute to create some chemistry. But a I think at the end of the year all three will be an extremely tough out for any one.

36 minutes ago, purplengolduc said:

These were your words from an earlier post "She is a very good player but can she carry the team?? Miss Basketball Finalist???? Are you sure about that? " about Edie Darby.  I just stated that she has the talent to be a Miss Basketball finalist.  Will she get more attention this year from opposing defenses? Absolutely.  Will she get a lot more shot attempts this year with her sister and Chloe gone? Absolutely. 

No one said it would be an easy year for her.  I did say, and will stand by, that she has the talent to be a Miss Basketball finalist

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 2:01 PM, pioneer42 said:

So what you are saying is she will have a greater admiration for Chloe Moore and the weight she carried. Biggs and Crouse have the ability to step their game up to take a little pressure off of her. I think they will some but I will agree with you that having all of the weight on your shoulders is a little different. What Gibson County and Union City has to do to beat them is handle their fast paced pressure defense, something neither team did well last year against them. And we also have the Peabody’s, Gleason’s, Bradford’s and Dresden’s to go through as well which is never easy. Think West TN will be tough again. Do think Union City might have an experience edge on Gibson County and Greenfield especially early. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Gibson County and Greenfield lose some early because they have some new players and new roles that make take a minute to create some chemistry. But a I think at the end of the year all three will be an extremely tough out for any one.

Edie is a finesse player, not very physical. Girls basketball has turned into a very physical game. I don't know if Greenfield is strong enough to compete with the best programs in west tennessee.

On 10/29/2020 at 6:07 PM, Croppygenius said:

Edie is a finesse player, not very physical. Girls basketball has turned into a very physical game. I don't know if Greenfield is strong enough to compete with the best programs in west tennessee.

Do think it is wide open this year. Greenfield IMO is the team to beat preseason in the west because they were the team to beat last year and nobody beat them so there you go. Do think they have question marks but so do us and y’all so you never know. Do think the parents of teams are going to have to stand up for their kids with this Covid stuff and talk to attorney’s and know their rights because we have lost a year of state tournament action and getting seen by all the college coaches and so on. Covid stuff has been a scare tactic by the left that schools have bit on hook line and sinker. They need to take precautions but I think it has been excessive and ball players need to have attorney’s and stand up for their rights and fight back against their schools if schools become excessive. People may not agree but lots of parents have tons of money invested in these kids hopefully getting scholarships in college worth tens of thousands of dollars playing ball. Hopefully America will be back to normal November 4th. Sooner or later kids must start fighting back. This can’t be the new norm and athletes losing their HS careers over this. I have a family member that has already been affected and lost their state tournament her senior year. It affects these kids emotionally and mentally and these scars are forever. Kids parents are going to have to fight back.

Edited by pioneer42