Gaddis has retired

HTV

1 hour ago, BigTime1950 said:

Who is the principal.  Did he play football or coach football  at OR?

The Principal is Garfield Adams. He played for Coach Gaddis at OR. So did a brother or two. He probably Coached some at OR. His son Jaxson Adams was an Class 5A All-State DL last season and walked on at UT.

Oak Ridge is loaded with people who could be on a Search team for the next coach.

Here is a name I haven't seen yet who is a great coach but would probably not leave his present job...Coach Witten at Betsy. He has won at least two State Championship

Wow, this is interesting. I would think Oak Ridge would be one of the top 5 (non private) coaching jobs in East Tennessee. I have no ideal where it stacks up in pay compared to the other top jobs in the area but I would think it would pay better than the average city or county coaching gig. Great tradition, great fan/booster support, great stadium, consistent tallent pool. Don’t sell your selves short on coaching prospects, obviously there are certain guys  you wouldn’t be able to pull in but if the powers that be do their job there is no way you guys shouldn’t be able to bring in a quality guy and or a proven winner at Head Coach. 

Edited by RCfan

10 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

He was a jerk at Hoover. Pretty bad at Valdosta. I forget how he did at the Georgia school between them but I guess it was good.

OR would have to be in a deep hole to try Propst. Are we in that deep of a hole?

Propst is a 1st class A Wipe. He did well at Colquitt Co (between Hoover and Valdosta), but screwed up royally at Valdosta and got them hit with a postseason ban this year for recruiting violations.

12 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

If they want to talk to some of the top coaches in the country they can make a call to Rankin or GQ. This state has plenty of great coaches that will show interest. OR doesnt need to waste time on a wild goose chase.

Lebanon hired one of the most successful coaches in KY history, only for his hiring to be a complete disaster. The grass isn't always greener

1.  I fully understand you point about a "wild goose chase"  Would a five minute conversation with the question being ask "Would you have any interest at all in being the head coach at Oak Ridge High School in Tennessee" be considered a wild goose chase?

2.  If you had told me that one of the most successful BASKETBALL coaches in Kentucky had been hired by Lebanon you would have gotten my attention.  Kentucky is a basketball state and most everyone could care less about football.  Enough said about that topic!

3.  You are correct in that the grass is not always greener.  However, I have never understood the harm in reaching out to someone that has been successful.  Often times that person may not be interested but they often times know of a great person that would be interested.  For my private business I have hired my most successful employees through networking.  

4.  One extremely successful athletic director told me that for every sport that his school offered he keep a list of five (5) names that he would want to interview if that specific sport needed a new head coach.  This same individual told me that he would review that list and make changes several time each year.  This way if he had an opening he was not starting from scratch!  Just wondering how many of the high school athletic directors in Tennessee have the same type of list?

Edited by cbg

1 minute ago, cbg said:

4.  One extremely successful athletic director told me that for every sport that his school offered he keep a list of five (5) names that he would want to interview if that specific sport needed a new head coach.  This same individual told me that he would review that list and make changes several time each year.  This way if he had an opening he was not starting from scratch!  Just wondering how many of the high school athletic directors in Tennessee have the same type of list?

I’ll put $1 on zero.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, cbg said:

1.  I fully understand you point about a "wild goose chase"  Would a five minute conversation with the question being ask "Would you have any interest at all in being the head coach at Oak Ridge High School in Tennessee" be considered a wild goose chase?

2.  If you had told me that one of the most successful BASKETBALL coaches in Kentucky had been hired by Lebanon you would have gotten my attention.  Kentucky is a basketball state and most everyone could care less about football.  Enough said about that topic!

3.  You are correct in that the grass is not always greener.  However, I have never understood the harm in reaching out to someone that has been successful.  Often times that person may not be interested but they often times know of a great person that would be interested.  For my private business I have hired my most successful employees through networking.  

1.) OR is not the kind of job you put feelers out, if they're interested they'll initiate contact

2.) I'll give that to you but your not gonna find someone from AL,GA,TX,MS that is going to take a reduction in pay to come here, unless they have family here like Blade does

3.) My point is that this state has plenty of great coaches that live here/ have lived here and are a better sounding board than cold calling a coach from another state just because he's successful when you have plenty that are successful here.

Example: Oakland makes a change after the 2007 season. Having only won 15 games in the last 5 years, their principal was desperate to turn things around.

Oakland has a conversation with Gary Rankin, who in turn suggest Thomas McDaniel, who Oakland then hires even only with 1 year experience as a HC at Moore County. McDaniel goes 14-1, winning a state championship and laid the building blocks for Oakland to become the juggernaut it is currently

4.) AD is a ceremonial position for most( if not all) public schools in this state, this isn't college or D-II

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

1.) OR is not the kind of job you put feelers out, if they're interested they'll initiate contact

2.) I'll give that to you but your not gonna find someone from AL,GA,TX,MS that is going to take a reduction in pay to come here, unless they have family here like Blade does

3.) My point is that this state has plenty of great coaches that live here/ have lived here and are a better sounding board than cold calling a coach from another state just because he's successful when you have plenty that are successful here.

Example: Oakland makes a change after the 2007 season. Having only won 15 games in the last 5 years, their principal was desperate to turn things around.

Oakland has a conversation with Gary Rankin, who in turn suggest Thomas McDaniel, who Oakland then hires even only with 1 year experience as a HC at Moore County. McDaniel goes 14-1, winning a state championship and laid the building blocks for Oakland to become the juggernaut it is currently

4.) AD is a ceremonial position for most( if not all) public schools in this state, this isn't college or D-II

All of these are great points.