ALCOA VS. MILAN, Let's get this started!!

MilanDog9

Your argument is based upon incomplete data. A key fact you left out is strength of schedule. Last time I checked, Coach T had Alcoa rated as the no. 2 toughest schedule while Milan is rated at no. 46 in the AA classification. Bottomline is our schedule was significantly tougher this year as compared to last. Also, you failed to recognize that Alcoa is allowing opponents and average of only 8.2 points per game. And quite frankly, most of those were scored against the F3s in mop up roles in the third and fourth quarters as Coach rankin is quick to subsititue once up 35 points.

Again, using your incomplete argument and numbers, one could say that Milan's offense is down this year since they scored a 32 fewer points in 2009 when compared to the 2008 season.

You also have to take into consideration that Milan didn't play their starters after 35 either. That meant, no starters after halftime, after week 3. First two rounds of the playoffs, starters were out of the game by end of the 1st quarter. So those were our two highest scoring games all season, and those points were put up on our 2nd and 3rd strings.

Nothing new to Milan folks that our offense isn't as strong. This is the first year our QB has started....or has even played the QB position. So I think 32 fewer points by a guy who never even touched the ball as a QB last season is not "down".

We know Milan will have to play 100% better....and trust me, they will. I know Milan doesn't have the toughest schedule....they are in a pretty weak district. But what can they do about that? That's the card they were dealt. What could they have changed? Huntingdon...our biggest rival? Humboldt...the longest rivalry in the state of TN? We play JCS to get practice against throwing teams, such as York that we might see. So call TSSAA and complain that there isn't the talent in West TN that there is in East TN. But I wouldn't waste my breath....they want $$$ and rivalries mean $$$!

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never seen Milan, but I did watch Alcoa "pound the rock" on my Elizabethton Cyclones last week. Nothing fancy, except the one flea-flicker pass, just smash mouth football. The Alcoa front five opens a hole nearly every play. #89 Robinson (looked about 6'4", 250 pounds) leads through the hole and destroys the first defender to appear. Then the fullback #2, another powerful player, destroys the next defender. Toney just takes the handoff and runs straight through the hole toward the endzone. Most of the tackles are made ten to fifteen yards down the field by cornerbacks chasing from the sides or the free safety. The only way to stop it is to have speed coming off the edge to hit Toney before he gets to the line or just put in a couple of 300 pounders and have them lay down in the hole to build a dam. If you think you can sit in a base defense with seven in the box and take on Alcoa man on man you are not going to stop them. I think I would put eight in the box, blitz and shoot gaps every play, and just hope to slow them down or create some turnovers. Alcoa apparently does not like to pass, but their receivers looked like college receivers and I am sure they could pass if they had to.

Elizabethton could not run on the Alcoa front seven and the quarterback rarely had any time to throw. Robinson #89 and Warren #1 bring serious pressure from their defensive end spots. The only hope might be to throw quick slants from the shotgun, run some well designed screen passes, and possibly some bootlegs or draws. Once again, trying to take on the Alcoa front seven man on man and running your regular offense will not work, unless you have a very talented and extremely physical football team. That hasn't happened in five years. Maybe Milan is that good, but I will not believe it until I see it. Congratulations to both teams for getting to the title game and may the best team win. I will say....Alcoa 34-Milan 13.

Good post Coach, I agree with everything you said. Congratulations to Elizabethton on an excellent season.

Thanks. I believe Alcoa wins another title.

If "rent a coach" Rankin wasn't concerned...why did he call Crockett County's coach Pratt LAST WEEK asking about Milan? Was he a tad bit worried? He hasn't won his semi yet...just a thought...brag on Alcoa...brag on.....

Or possibly coach Rankin had a hunch Milan would win their game against a below average York team, that gave Milan quite a handful in the first half.