WEEK 1: Powell vs Anderson County

keepitmoving

I could never imagine in a lifetime a player coming to my school (Maryville) and calling the shots like the big recruit that has joined Powell. I wonder how that works out with the other kids on the team that set back and watch this circus go on around them with grown men constantly running all over the place chasing this kid like a pack of hungry dogs asking the same stupid questions over and over. Then the worse part is his recruiting visits take priority over practicing and even games someone close to the situation told me. The distraction this will cause will be very interesting to see. Can you imagine a new employee coming to work and all this going on around them. It would be like a bomb waiting to go off not to mention letting two off the hook so easy for something most schools wouldn't tolerate which is another bomb in itself. We had two birds like that a half a dozen years ago at Maryville and I was pretty vocal about it and made a lot of people mad at me. One was on probation when he came and the other was no better. They were arrested in a big sting operation by Maryville Police and made all headlines on tv and the newspapers. That gave Maryville the biggest black eye of a lifetime. One was forgiven and worked his way back on the team the following year and the other went on his merry way and I noticed his obituary in the paper this past spring at 21 years old. My advise to Matt Lowe is your carrying a dangerous cargo buddy along with a circus to boot, I wouldn't want to be you or Powell High School if this train ride jumps off the tracks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I could never imagine in a lifetime a player coming to my school (Maryville) and calling the shots like the big recruit that has joined Powell. I wonder how that works out with the other kids on the team that set back and watch this circus go on around them with grown men constantly running all over the place chasing this kid like a pack of hungry dogs asking the same stupid questions over and over. Then the worse part is his recruiting visits take priority over practicing and even games someone close to the situation told me. The distraction this will cause will be very interesting to see. Can you imagine a new employee coming to work and all this going on around them. It would be like a bomb waiting to go off not to mention letting two off the hook so easy for something most schools wouldn't tolerate which is another bomb in itself. We had two birds like that a half a dozen years ago at Maryville and I was pretty vocal about it and made a lot of people mad at me. One was on probation when he came and the other was no better. They were arrested in a big sting operation by Maryville Police and made all headlines on tv and the newspapers. That gave Maryville the biggest black eye of a lifetime. One was forgiven and worked his way back on the team the following year and the other went on his merry way and I noticed his obituary in the paper this past spring at 21 years old. My advise to Matt Lowe is your carrying a dangerous cargo buddy along with a circus to boot, I wouldn't want to be you or Powell High School if this train ride jumps off the tracks.

You've been told wrong, Barney.  

He went on a recruiting visit to Texas A&M before he was eligible to begin practicing at Powell, during the period when the school was trying to get everything cleared with the TSSAA so there weren't issues to arise later.  Then the brothers had to do their TSSAA acclimation, which is why they didn't scrimmage at Farragut on Tuesday.  

He's not calling the shots.  

And a high school coach should not allow a prospect to take visits?  That's just neither reasonable nor rational thinking. 

The holier than thou finger pointing in this thread is absolutely absurd.  Like I have said before, I am not nearly as close to the Powell program as I used to be, but no matter what Matt Lowe does there are going to be people that want to dog him and give him "advice".  Nope, he's not perfect, but the continual pointing of fingers is ridiculous at this point.  Nobody is squeaky clean.  Nobody.  

If one doesn't like Matt's or any other coach's personality or coaching style, then that's one's own issue.  But the continual finger pointing holier than thou I know better act has gotten really old and just reeks.  One can celebrate and support the school(s) they choose without trying to belittle others.  

Edited by HTV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Lol he just mad cause it didn’t go to Maryville. 

Edited by rollnoles
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, HTV said:

He went on a recruiting visit to Texas A&M before he was eligible to begin practicing at Powell, during the period when the school was trying to get everything cleared with the TSSAA so there weren't issues to arise later.  Then the brothers had to do their TSSAA acclimation, which is why they didn't scrimmage at Farragut on Tuesday.  

And a high school coach should not allow a prospect to take visits?  That's just neither reasonable nor rational thinking. 

The holier than thou finger pointing in this thread is absolutely absurd.  Like I have said before, I am not nearly as close to the Powell program as I used to be, but no matter what Matt Lowe does there are going to be people that want to dog him and give him "advice".  Nope, he's not perfect, but the continual pointing of fingers is ridiculous at this point.  Nobody is squeaky clean.  Nobody.  

If one doesn't like Matt's or any other coach's personality or coaching style, then that's one's own issue.  But the continual finger pointing holier than thou I know better act has gotten really old and just reeks.  One can celebrate and support the school(s) they choose without trying to belittle others.  

What “reeks” and is “old” is you continuing to play dumb like you don’t know what’s happening at Powell. Last year it was “I haven’t been by Powell in years.” Now it’s “I haven’t been around the program in a couple months.” BS on both fronts, and deep down you know the wrongdoings going on down there. I WILL NOT say that other schools aren’t doing similar illegal things, but Powell takes it to another level and gets away with it.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, HTV said:

I'm sure you know everything possible to be known about the All-Star from the 2-7 team he came from. The positive thing on that issue is if your good they'll find you. One of the negatives a coach in the area said they don't pay me enough money for all the distractions that will come with all of this. The situation I compared it to something that happened at Maryville, yes that's right at Maryville. I realize a coach knows kids do make mistakes and the punishment here was a year off the team and work yourself back. I know being seniors I take it wouldn't work out that way. One coach that wouldn't take it is Rankin. He sent one home three years ago and back when Cobb was at Alcoa there was a kid that was a can't miss db and Rankin threw him off as well because he was smart enough to rid himself of more problems to come. When I'm comparing situations that I have seen at my own school I'm not finger pointing but bringing light what has happened and how lives were destroyed when corrections should of been made. Sometimes we need to forget about wins and losses because the worse loss is turning a blind eye and eventually watching a situation happen like Aaron Douglas. Has nothing to do with Powell but be aware of letting something slide which I've seen with my own eyes.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, HTV said:

HA! Hit Barney right between the eyes! :lol: 

Marvul peps think They are the only ones that can bring in top recruits.:thumb:

10 hours ago, chsbobcat09 said:

What “reeks” and is “old” is you continuing to play dumb like you don’t know what’s happening at Powell. Last year it was “I haven’t been by Powell in years.” Now it’s “I haven’t been around the program in a couple months.” BS on both fronts, and deep down you know the wrongdoings going on down there. I WILL NOT say that other schools aren’t doing similar illegal things, but Powell takes it to another level and gets away with it.

Serious question. If you know illegal things (your words) are going on at certain schools why have you not turned them in to the tssaa??

50 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

HA! Hit Barney right between the eyes! :lol: 

Marvul peps think They are the only ones that can bring in top recruits.:thumb:

Actually never give it a thought anymore. Of all the people that have moved to town since the first of the year we only have a 3rd string lineman to show for it. The same will happen to Alcoa once Amazon fills those apartments and sends Alcoa to 5A. The best players are homegrown like the Eagleton players that will stay at Eagleton once that all comes into play. I shouldn't have to repeat this story over and over but since we're on a Knoxville thread they'll be interested in what's fixing to happen in Blount County.

8 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Actually never give it a thought anymore. Of all the people that have moved to town since the first of the year we only have a 3rd string lineman to show for it. The same will happen to Alcoa once Amazon fills those apartments and sends Alcoa to 5A. The best players are homegrown like the Eagleton players that will stay at Eagleton once that all comes into play. I shouldn't have to repeat this story over and over but since we're on a Knoxville thread they'll be interested in what's fixing to happen in Blount County.

You keep thinking that! Homegrown is  13 streets. Only thing Alcoa needs to worry about is murvul always trying to recruit that area! Fact.