West TN Rural Top 10 Week 1

So this is week 1 of the rankings. Obviously it will look vastly different by the end of the year. But this is where we start. I know people have different ideas of what this poll should be and how it should work. But my purpose in doing this poll is to crown the best team in rural west tn for that season regardless of class. What I mean by rural is all of west tn minus Shelby co. So yes a 1 or 2A team could be ranked ahead of a 4 or 5A team if there is a high likelihood they would beat them. This poll will change from week to week. A team that lost to a team earlier in the year could be ranked ahead of them because of team improvement, injuries, etc. Please give your opinions and give input on your team’s performance throughout the season. That will help formulate the rankings for the next week and generate some good discussion about our west tn teams. 

1. Henry Co. (5A)- the scrimmage win over MBA speaks volumes to me. Probably the toughest schedule of any team in West TN. 

2. Riverside (2A)- Has looked impressive in the preseason and brings back the house after coming off a silver ball season. 

3. Dyersburg (3A)- HUGE senior class of 25 players. Has outscored Lexington, Milan and Crockett 85-0 in the preseason. 

4. Haywood (4A)-  Don’t know how to feel about Haywood as they have struggled in the preseason but they have been absolutely dominant the last few years. Until someone in West TN can beat them in a meaningful game they will be ranked high. 

5. Munford (5A)-  Lots of weapons returning off an 11-1 team from a year ago. Lots of kids getting offers. Maybe over hyped but we will find out soon enough. 

6.  Union City (1A)-  tornadoes return a lot of experience from last year and are one of the favorites in 1A. Looked great last night beating Covington in jamboree action. 

7. South Gibson (4A)-  Hornets also with a big senior class and tons of experience. Put a beat down on Peabody last nigh. 

8.  Covington (3A)- Always a consistent program. They looked really good against Huntingdung a couple of weeks ago winning 5-1 in varsity action. 

9. Huntingdung (2A)-  Brings back a ton of starters from last years team that split with Riverside. They are a favorite in 2A to go to Chattanooga. 

T10. USJ (D2-AA)-  Looked great in a 10-7 jamboree win over Milan last night. Are one of the most consistent teams in West TN every year. 

T10. Hardin Co. (4A)-  have one of the top qb’s in the state. Hardin Co. will have a tough offense to stop and will battle Sout Gibson for the top spot in 6-4A. 

Outside Looking In- McKenzie, Dresden, Crockett, Milan, JCS and Westview

Let the discussion begin!!!

34 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

1. Henry Co. (5A)- the scrimmage win over MBA speaks volumes to me. Probably the toughest schedule of any team in West TN. 

2. Riverside (2A)- Has looked impressive in the preseason and brings back the house after coming off a silver ball season. 

3. Dyersburg (3A)- HUGE senior class of 25 players. Has outscored Lexington, Milan and Crockett 85-0 in the preseason. 

4. Haywood (4A)-  Don’t know how to feel about Haywood as they have struggled in the preseason but they have been absolutely dominant the last few years. Until someone in West TN can beat them in a meaningful game they will be ranked high. 

5. Munford (5A)-  Lots of weapons returning off an 11-1 team from a year ago. Lots of kids getting offers. Maybe over hyped but we will find out soon enough. 

6.  Union City (1A)-  tornadoes return a lot of experience from last year and are one of the favorites in 1A. Looked great last night beating Covington in jamboree action. 

7. South Gibson (4A)-  Hornets also with a big senior class and tons of experience. Put a beat down on Peabody last nigh. 

8.  Covington (3A)- Always a consistent program. They looked really good against Huntingdung a couple of weeks ago winning 5-1 in varsity action. 

9. Huntingdung (2A)-  Brings back a ton of starters from last years team that split with Riverside. They are a favorite in 2A to go to Chattanooga. 

T10. USJ (D2-AA)-  Looked great in a 10-7 jamboree win over Milan last night. Are one of the most consistent teams in West TN every year. 

T10. Hardin Co. (4A)-  have one of the top qb’s in the state. Hardin Co. will have a tough offense to stop and will battle Sout Gibson for the top spot in 6-4A. 

:D... can not let it go...

I would put SGC above Munford. Only reason is because we looked really good against them in the in the scrimmage. 

Think Huntingdon is ranked about right now with the ability to be much better. Riverside is good but after seeing them against Hardin Co I think the Panthers and Mustangs is a toss up. Union City with a win over Covington was very impressive. I'm worried about Mckenzie this Friday night. They have reloaded and are going to surprise some folks just hope it's not the Mustangs!

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

The weird thing I've noticed regarding to preseason games is that fans care about the "score" more than the players and coaches do. 

I know we'll disagree, but to me, Riverside is #1. Where I am confused is why is Union City at #6 and Huntingdon at #9? Did y'all watch them in the playoffs? They scored 13 points in their final two games. They also lost to Huntingdon to end their season. Kind of confused as to why they are going to jump Huntingdon for some reason.

I will say Union City has a better shot to reach Chattanooga over Huntingdon, but that's only because 2A is way better than 1A in West Tennessee.

Just now, TryNotToSuck said:

The weird thing I've noticed regarding to preseason games is that fans care about the "score" more than the players and coaches do. 

I know we'll disagree, but to me, Riverside is #1. Where I am confused is why is Union City at #6 and Huntingdon at #9? Did y'all watch them in the playoffs? They scored 13 points in their final two games. They also lost to Huntingdon to end their season. Kind of confused as to why they are going to jump Huntingdon for some reason.

I will say Union City has a better shot to reach Chattanooga over Huntingdon, but that's only because 2A is way better than 1A in West Tennessee.

Union City had a TON of injuries at the end of the season last year. Was missing several key contributors. But honestly in my mind after the first 3 it’s a crap shoot where the teams will end up. I have seen D’Burg up close and personal. They are impressive. Riverside and HC are loaded as well. Everyone else is a mystery at this point. 

Just now, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Union City had a TON of injuries at the end of the season last year. Was missing several key contributors. But honestly in my mind after the first 3 it’s a crap shoot where the teams will end up. I have seen D’Burg up close and personal. They are impressive. Riverside and HC are loaded as well. Everyone else is a mystery at this point. 

Understand! Thank you for doing this!